Saturday, May 23, 2015

Adventure Wednesday #1

I have decided that for the rest of the summer, that I am going on a local adventure each Wednesday. I will try to stay within a hundred miles or so of Cloudcroft, so that I can be back to Tiny Trailer by nightfall. 
This week's adventure was to the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo. I was impressed by the exhibits, and the 10 year old science nerd in me was delighted. I remember being fascinated by some of these very rockets and missiles when I was a kid.


Exterior of the museum

View from the top floor looking West across Alamogordo...the white horizontal line in front of the mountains in the distance is White Sands National Monument, and the White Sands Testing Range.
Little Joe II, largest missile ever launched at White Sands

Rocket sled

Nike missile...there was a Nike base just north of Denton, now abandoned.

F-1 Rocket engine. 
The most powerful single chamber rocket engine ever made, with about a million and a half pounds of thrust per engine.


Wreckage of V-2 from White Sands, a German capture that White sands personnel were reverse engineering before its crash.

Mercury capsule, like the ones who carried the first Americans into space.



Sputnik, the Russian satellite which first orbited the Earth

Explorer 1, the first American satellite, launched about 4 months after Sputnik


Next Wednesday, another adventure!!





No comments:

Post a Comment