Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Reluctant Blogger

I am currently residing in a tiny teardrop trailer, in Why, Arizona. How I came to be here is a story unto itself, which I will explain below. It is my intention to chronicle my travels in a blog, but I am a bit reluctant to do so, mostly because that requires a commitment of time and energy, which I’m not sure that I’m willing to make at this point, and because I may go significant periods without doing much actual traveling.

 But, I’m here, and might as well make a beginning. I officially retired about 2 months ago, although I had actually not worked much during 2014. I reached a point where I was tired of the changes that had occurred in my chosen profession (nursing), and no longer felt any joy in the work. So, even though I was far from financially prepared to retire, I did so anyway, vowing to reduce my needs to meet my now much reduced income. Also, I wanted to travel, but hotels and airfare were suddenly outside my budget. I had once built a large log home, but had recently become interested in the Tiny House movement, and was fascinated by the clever uses of space. It was a natural progression to begin to look at tiny trailers to meet my housing needs, and travel desires.

 I had looked at different commercially available teardrops from Camp-Inn and Little Guy, which were very nice, but also out of my current price range. I looked at some used trailers on Ebay, and on Craiglist, but none were quite what I wanted. I finally found a teardrop that a young man in a nearby town had built, then had some issues with, and had partially disassembled. I bought it “as is” for $700.00, on September 14, and began a rebuild process. I put a new waterproof membrane on the roof, then covered the entire trailer with canvas, using a waterproof glue, and then coated it with exterior polyurethane spar varnish, followed by three coats of Rustoleum, silver over black, opposite what the factory paint scheme on my tow car, a 2010 PT Cruiser.

 On October 5th, I finished packing, and left the Denton, Texas home of my good friends and housemates, where I had lived for four and a half years, and towed the trailer a grand total of ten miles south to a city run campground on the shores of Lake Lewisville. Thus began my “full-time" tiny trailer life.

No comments:

Post a Comment