Monday, December 8, 2014

Why Why?

I wish I could tell you exactly how I found out about this particular campground in Why, Arizona.  I’m not really sure where I read about it, but when I perused their website, it met almost all my criteria.  I wanted someplace warm in the winter, and cheap, with restroom and showers, and WiFi available.

Coyote Howls, East  in Why, AZ, has all that and more.  The one thing (things?) that it doesn’t have is hook-ups of any kind.  For the most part, that doesn’t impact me, but I had to make provision for at least some sort of self-generated electrical.  My electrical needs are minimal, mostly consisting of recharging my cell phone, recharging my tablet (which I use almost exclusively as an E-reader), and occasionally recharging my laptop battery. I chose to go with a minimal solar charging system, rather than a generator, for reasons of reliability, noise, and environmental concerns. My little system consists  of a 15 watt solar panel from Harbor Freight, a 100 watt charge controller also from Harbor freight, a 400 watt inverter, from guess where…, and a 100 amp/hour deep cycle battery from Walmart. Everything but the panel is housed in a storage bin which can be picked up and moved at any time. (See picture below)
The Sonoran desert  beautiful, and so far, except for one rainy day, the weather has been near perfect.

Coyote Howls office and clubhouse

View from campsite on day one

Butte to the Northeast of campground

Tiny trailer tiny solar charging system. Charge controller, Deep cycle battery 
and  A/C inverter are in the silver bin. Panel is only 15 watt, but meets my needs.

Tiny trailer compound, Coyote Howls. The screen room provides a living area, and the pop-up dome tent is for storage, so that I don't have to lug everything around in my car




I will be writing and posting about this corner of Arizona for a while, since I intend to stay until early March. Stay tuned for posts about the flora, fauna, and things to see and do in this area, as I see them and do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment