Monday, December 8, 2014

Thanksgiving in Why

I arrived at Coyote Howls on Sunday November 23rd, and Thanksgiving fell on the following Thursday. I had mixed feelings about the holiday this year...I was thoroughly enjoying my new adventure, and the desert was beautiful, but this was to be the first Thanksgiving in my over 60 years of life that I had not spent with either family or friends who were like family. 

There was a community dinner scheduled at the Why Community Center, and the campground had provided me with a ticket, with the expectation that I would bring a covered dish. The campground (which is owned and operated by the Why Water District) was furnishing the main courses...as I understood it (this may not be accurate, but it was only my fourth day...)

I made a vegan Hoppin' John, and made my way to the Community Center. I was surprised at the number of people there...well over a hundred! The meal was delicious, and I felt welcomed. I still missed my friends and family, but overall, it was not a bad Thanksgiving at all...



No comments:

Post a Comment